Friday, March 17, 2006

And i have chosen: Jaring FLITE

Hmmm....tomorrow, i'm going to MidValley Megamall, near bangsar, KL to collect the Jaring Flite broadband package from Anjung Internet Jaring, IT World. I've already bought the phone line extension to connect the ADSL to our home mains phone hub. If everything goes well, it'll be my 1st ever broadband connection experience in malaysia. I've done dial-ups and LAN before...Good thing i didn't trade off my old network card and its cable which i bought 4 yrs ago when i 1st did my LAN connection from my own pc. Learning about new technologies always seemed fun to me and yet it can be challenging as well....oh well, which part of learning new things could be considered easy, one may wonder. It actually gives me some sort of a drive towards finding more about what i don't know and the courage to ask those who knew more.

I still remember back in autumn-winter 1998 in bradford, uk, during my 1st degree studies. I needed a pc at home so badly but still wasnt that confident enuf to manage one by myself. So i spoke to many people, those of whom i thought were computer savvies....Of all these people, i got my own revelation from my old friend, Fadzil. He was studying in manchester that time. I started with just some idle chat about computing and then he hit me with some questions about what a computer is all about from the hardwares to the softwares. I was all but clueless about what is a motherboard n so on. We talked n talked for nearly 3 hours over the fon and it all made sense to me....Computers aren't that difficult and neither do they are scary tools. They just need u to handle them wisely.

The confidence to get to know about computers which were more than just a tool to write ur stuff on or to browse through the internet just kept going on and on and on....and so, i made my own initiatives to read more about computers from the mags, asked more questions about it and many more....i even taught my housemates that time on how easy it was to download those chatting softwares like mIRC (downloading method from the internet was taught by another fren of mine, mat yie back in april 1998). That was also those times when i thought men/boys were so much better as a teacher than women when it comes to technical knowledge. They were so much patient than women, but this does not mean that i am making a generalised statement.What i meant was, majority of men are better in sharing technical knowledge than women, but when a woman figured about it, she became a natural in conveying the info as well as teaching them. Do I make sense to you? Anyways, I bought my 1st pc from huddersfield in winter 1998, not a very spohisticated one but enuf to cater for the necessary jobs from using Office Excel, Words, Powerpoint to using the internet of course. That old pc of mine is still alive at my dad's office. Even without a USB port, it gave my dad the opportunity to know the basics of what a computer can do.

Once the broadband is installed, i hope to be able to spend more time on HTML stuff and as always, my 1st place to practise is on this blogspot.

No comments: