Thursday, October 19, 2006

My Way: Frank Sinatra

The first quarter of 2004 was one of the hardest experience in my life ever. It was then that I cried and cried until I felt like collapsing. My knees were all wobbly and my body shook like it never had with too much sorrow and pain. It was when I had this major dispute with my old supervisor. I could say that I was in a real deepshit of my life so to speak. I am not one who easily breaks down and cry, but when it really hurt me inside, cut me deep inside my heart, i just could not get a grip of myself anymore but to just shed those tears almost endlessly. I even cried in the bus on my way home from my college. I cried while carrying out my experimental works. I was at one of my lowest points of my life. It was indeed a matter of life and death to me somehow. I cried over the phone with my mum, my lecturer colleagues in malaysia and most of all, I cried in front of my college mates. They were like my rock there. Without them, i felt like going insane honest to God. It was rather embarrassing but hey, it's either cry or die.

Then, that was also the time when i got hooked up with Frank Sinatra's song: My Way. Its lyrics and melody literally speaks to my soul and has touched my innermost feelings.


A videoclip showing Ol' blue eyes performing one of his signature songs, a truly evergreen song: My Way


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSlp6LgJ-u0



Alhamdulillah, with a lot of prayers from my family and friends, such overwhelming episode ended with a triumph and "monumental" relief. And a year ago, I attained my PhD.


Now, it is still one of my classic numbers. Last year, i found out that he also shares his likeness towards this particular song. Anita Sarawak loves it. Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad loves it. I reckon those who've had their shares of highs and lows in their lives would definitely resonate well with this song. And especially the way Frank Sinatra sang it that makes it rather soothing and captivating. A motivating song that alleviate fears and anxieties, which leads to the rising of one's own dignity, confidence, determination and self-esteem.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have no like or dislike for 'my way' but all i know is that, whenever there is karaoke, someone is bound to sing it.

SHR AF MZB

ManaL said...

Oldies kan...i liked its lyrics most of all.

SHR AF MZB to u too. Sorry for taking too long to reply :-)

The Pisces Man said...

Good that u passed and obtained your PhD Manal.. Your supervisor must be a real pain hah...? Anyway, thanx for the song!

ManaL said...

Abdun,

What had been a real pain have evolved into an unforgettable friendship. That's what happen when buku bertemu ruas. Though it was a very trying time indeed for me, such "scars" left a good long-term effect for me, seeing what i am now. It taught me on seeing things and analyse it from various perspectives about the faculty of life having encountered with myriads of characters and attitudes. It was part of my maturity lessons of survival that was so invaluable thx to the hardship that has metaphorically screwed me up mentally and physically ;-)

On a personal note, I have always been saying this to myself: "why was i not like what i am now before?". But then i knew, i had to go through the hard way just to reach to where i am. And that is why i am ever so grateful to God for such experience despite how terrible some of them were....