Thursday, January 01, 2009

2009 begins with a smile

May we all have a wonderful and fruitful new year 2009 and 1430H filled with so many good things and that many sincere prayers and wishes will be granted by Him. Lets all join in our prayers to ask God for his blessings and protection from all evil doings and harms. And may we be better than the previous year and continue to do good for the mankind and the earth itself.

And I shall also be praying so that all my angers and jealousies that I felt to be channeled to improving myself and as the main drive to achieve what I desired for the betterment of myself and will continue to be inspired by so many successful people I have come across.




Photo taken on an annual dinner invitation at the Legend Hotel grand ballroom, KL, 13 December 2008



We had makan2 at my first brother's place on the new year's eve. And we waited for the countdown 10 minutes before 12 midnite in front of the telly.

In 2008:

1. I managed to complete my 6 days Shawal sunnah fasting - for the first time in my life.

2. Lost a few kg of my weight but I put them all back by November....

3. Started liking the aerobic regime, took a break from it on Ramadhan, thats the whole September and by October till early December too busy to spare time to go back to the usual regime causing the weight gain.

4. Learned so many things on becoming the head of an international conference secretariat and met and befriended with so many esteemed ademicians across the Asia Pasific

5. Broke up the relationship and resuming it again on my birthday.

6. Managed to initiate the house project in December

7. Relationship with the Mother went on better but did not talk much to another two members of the family

8. Received 2 new nephews last July

9. Co-supervise 2 PhD students and 2 Masters students and as the main supervisor to another Masters student

10. Publication number increases mainly on international proceeding papers but yet to produce a journal paper.

11. Made new baju kebaya and kurungs from 2 different tailors and their shops are just stone throw away from each other. Before that, has been loyal to the another tailor who has been making clothes for us since my primary school years. Unfortunately , her health began deteriorating by the end of 2007.

12. Had my first ever facial in July and have since continued having it on a few occassions and so far liking the results

13. Managed a subject on my own for 2 programs for the first time.

14. Had my first laptop

15. Bought a digicam and a mobile phone for the first time in Malaysia




I hope to do better especially on:

1. Losing weight and keeping myself healthier and more energetic

2. Producing journal papers

3. Expanding the research network

4. Supervision skills

5. Time management

6. Money management

7. Work management

8. Research management




I also would like to:

1. Complete my first round of the house project with the help of the personal loan. The house will be equipped with the most necessary items only so as to make it habitable.

2. Move into the new house

3. Get back to the fitness regime and thinking whether to stick to the old fitness centre or moving to another place.

4. Assist him to secure a job in a nearby university by the time he finishes his viva so we could take things to another level

5. Learn how to swim in a proper swimming lesson session after 3 -4 months of fitness regime to improve on my stamina level

6. Taking a short break across west and east malaysia every other month or so be it on my own or with family /friends. Basically travel more!


7. Go to Cairo to meet my maternal relatives by the end of the year. I have not seen them for 27 years.


8. Read more journal papers, and finish reading those books on my shelf before I start to find or buy new reading materials


9. Read more.....quran, and many more books!!

10. Try not to go to sleep again after subuh except if I am very tired or could not sleep well at night.




Wishing that:

My silent wishes will also come true. Ameen




12 comments:

Hazyr said...

happy new year and good luck manal!

ManaL said...

Hazyr,

A very happy new year wishes with many more great things to come to u too! And maybe we should meet up one of these days dont u think? Its been like over 12 years. U have my number, so buzz me.

Mel Ija said...

Hi Manal,

Wishing you the best in life and that whatever resolutions you intend to do for 2009 will meet with success.

As for me.. keeping my fingers crossed here..

ManaL said...

Ija,

Likewise, I am also excited and nervous all the same,the usual feelings in the beginning of a new year (and that proverbial new era). What I really would like to achieve is to work diligently and keep on learning to improve myself so I can establish a better position for myself (while increasing the KPI ratings of my dept, faculty and so on so forth la). I dont wanna be left behind and I wanna prove myself a progressive person thus surprising myself of my own capabilities with the help and guide of the more experienced ones, inshallah.

Siti Khadijah said...

Dear Manal,

Happy New Year! Good luck with your wish list. Take care and I hope your ehmmm plan will go through and get you to another level.

ManaL said...

Madam Curi,

And a very happy new year wish to u too, kak nina and AMEEN to that plan!

Rt Hon Sir Cipan Nougat-Tenuk said...

Weeehhhh ... ada avang baru ke ni?

Hmmm ... kat mana lah lagi Avang Cipan nak menggatal dik noi oi ... :(

ManaL said...

Avang Cip,

Avang cipan tettttaaaapppppp di hati....(*rolling eyes)

Are flattering and menggatal giving the same connotation for u?

The Pisces Man said...

All the best in rekindling your bonds with your relatives in Cairo.

What international conference secretariat is that Manal? Lucky you...

Hope you will start talking more with your 2 family members..

Hope for peace for all of us mankind huh? Suddenly, that sounds too impossible for some of us

ManaL said...

Pisces Man,

1.That conference la, i have been mentioning it again and again in the previous email: RSCE-SOMChE2008

2. Yea, will do Cairo definitely. They have been asking about me everytime my parents and my other sibling go visit them.

3. We only being civil, but no chit-chat with these 2 ever takes place yet.

4. Peace? allahu akbar wa lillahil-hamd. Believe in Him.

signing off with a V-sign to u, the forward view one (the backward one where my upper hand facing u is a bit rude sign innit?)

Rt Hon Sir Cipan Nougat-Tenuk said...

New Year
New Boss
New Portfolio
Same old problems ...

... not enuff time to update. Dats me :p

ManaL said...

Avang cipan,

Alalala....chiyannn nya diyeerrr....

I guess i have to resolve to being a "repented" tart then?