Thursday, November 08, 2007

Some malaysian celebrities

Picture#1: Taken last April, on the day Kak Teh, the lady on the right leaving home to london from her brother's place in bandar baru bangi. I'm in the middle, looking wee bit worn out coz i went there straight after office. And that petite pretty little lady next to me on the left is Kak Teh's beloved mother. She must have been quite dishy in her heydays as she still looked adorable in her golden age (90 years old, isnt it kakteh?)

Kak Teh or Zaharah Othman is one of the prolific malaysian journalists who is based in London, and that was where i first met her during my PhD years. Recently, her husband, Wan Ahmad Hulaimi published a book entitled: Growing Up in Trengganu under a nom de plume: Awang Goneng. I hope she and her husband will be back in Malaysia again for an official book launching so I can get a signed copy of it.




Picture#2: After like berhempas-pulas looking for the house, I finally made it to teratak AdieJin somewhere deep in Hulu Langat (it's his parents weekend abode by the way). I drove all the way from Port Dickson (PD), right after our faculty retreat at a boring hotel called Corus Paradise (pbbhhtsssss, how uncanny and unbecoming its name relative to what it has to offer!). Being a "minah kerempitan" as what Makji Esah suggestively called me, I didn't spend that long reaching hulu langat from PD although the distance travelled surpassed 150km. I am not implying in any way that I am a reckless, fast and furious on the road, but when i am cruising down the highway, I took my opportunity to test how far can my car go as far as efficient-on-the-road is concerned.

Dek kerana dah berniat nak jugak jumpa Nurfarahin Jamsari (AdieJin's darling wife and an ex-Tv3 talk show hostess and newsreader turned image management unit chief in Media Prima,) and to get a signed copy of her new book entitled "44 hari bersama Nurfarahin", I managed to reach his place after like 1 and a half hour going round and round sesat-barat but learned a few new places between the journey. Dah la tu, it was raining cats and dogs the time i reached my final destination. Had to thank this malay dude in his 40s for offering to direct me towards the nearest spot before the (parents) house by asking me to follow behind his motorcycle. I met him along with a bunch of other malay dudes sitting around in a mamak shop when i stopped by asking for some directions. They were all very friendly and sensing that it wasnt easy for me to really find the place, one of them , the 40s dude in his motorbike, came and offered to assist me. Alhamdulillah, ramai orang malaysia kita yang baik-baik kan? I still remembered that chinese bloke who also gave me directions to Subang Bestari while he was about to fill his car with petrol at Petronas Bukit Subang.


Anyways, here's a picture of us. Nurfarahin (kak farah) sitting on the left looking delectable and composed as usual, her youngest daughter siti sarah hugging her from behind and kak farah's youngest sister inlaw (AdieJin's sister la), Cher, who happened to be my old A-level College friend and that I have not seen her for almost 10 years. And there was I in my all black top to skirt (and shoes too), gave my cheerful best even though i was kinda tired! Sempat met with this popular Kelantanese sitcom actress, Mek ( i dunno her real name) who looked better in flesh than on the telly, kinda cute actually (comey lotey as kelate would normally call it) and she lost more weight too.






Picture#3: And uhhummmmm.....i got to be upclose and personal with Sean Ghazi! Wohooo....!! I met him right after our University of Bradford Reunion Dinner at Shangri-La Hotel in KL. You wanna know what i said to him the first time we greeted and shook our hands:

"I saw you in that PRamlee the Musical.....Hey ,you are a small guy"....
while looking rather ecstatically at him.

My three other ex-bradford mates quickly responded loudly telling me, "Ape la cakap macam tu!" (What did u say like that to him?) for which i told him straight away as a matter-of-factly, "But he sure is a BIG TALENT!".

He laughed nonchalantly, taking it as an honest remark from some unknown person like me. While we were taking photos in group, Sean casually put his arm around my waist and i ehhemmm lovingly ehehhe...put my arm around his shoulder. My mates saw that and began to ask me to keep my hand off him . I reckoned Sean probably heard what they said. As a result, it only made Sean holding me closer! When it was my camera turn to take our picture together in group, my batteries gone flat! Bloody hell! i quickly korek-korek (rummaged through) my bag looking for spare batteries, immediately changing it and gave my camera back to the lady who took our picture. My mates , tired of my little antics with Sean, left me posing alone with him.

He was so sporting and cheerful and when we finally had our picture snapped, he jokingly said,
" Third time lucky!".

Before he left us, he told me there would be a rerun for the musical next year but did not hint when exactly. I told him that I knew Kak Ruby, and he fondly mentioned her as his friend. To Kak Ruby, we sure have to get hooked up after this!




Somehow, I am already blase having met quite a few hollywood and british celebrities in London that I get to act more casual when it comes to the malaysian scene.


Cant help adding one of his most popular songs: Semalam. It kept me afloat listening to his melodious, creamy smooth, frank-sinatra like voice. I would personally love to hear his "my way" rendition live! Dont worry, i aint falling in love with that dude himself, but I adore his singing talents. Not many male singers (those that are still alive) in malaysia that could send me some goosebumps and besides Sean, we have Anuar Zain, Zainal Abidin, some old rockers like Amy Search, Awie, Hattan, MNasir, Nash,Saleem and few others like Tam Spider, and Reshmonu.




I saw Tuanku Mizan coming out from some Accountant society dinner function at Shangri-La hotel too, just after my encounter with Sean. The Agong, too, is a small malay built guy but somehow he looked a bit serious, judging from the moment he stepped out of the banquet hall and walking in between his guards and some important people. He probably was tired anyway, as the function ended around 10.30pm (or tired of being surrounded by bunch of accountants, young and old, mustve reminded him of something to do with money matter and whatnots. Another two despised yet popular job are lawyers and real estate agents, the latter especially despised in the UK!). I was just about to take his picture but he walked away swiftly. Oh well,next time, in a more proper occassion, I shall get my chance to know that sultan better. He exudes the regular bloke type but with an air of authority of course. I just dunno why but from the moment i saw his profile in the Sandhurst Military College graduate book back in August 2005, I began to think that I wanna meet him coz he looks like a friendly dude. And when he was coronated as the Agong in the end of last year, i somehow felt proud? One is because he doesnt look that snobbish and two because i see a regular bloke in him. Betul ke tidak my firasat, wait n see la.

Two photographers outside that accountant night banquet hall came talking to me. Ntah pasai apa they got friendly and all and even told me how friendly Sean was with me! Sib baik I am no celebrity or someone in a provocatively sexy dress. But even if I was, walking up to meet Sean was nothing short of a waste of energy with him being accommodating and professional!!!!


What a day to remember this Wednesday, 7 November 2007!


16 comments:

hazlindakim said...

Oh wow! I didn't want to leave a comment but Sean Ghazi!! Swoon!!

Anyway, I am extremely new to the blogging world having started my own only last month. I was reading your back entries and absolutely love the one where you were ranting on "The Unknown Status on Manal Ismail". I know quite well how it feels to have people breathing down your neck with the question "You bila lagi?". People have nothing better to be concerned about is it?

Anyway, I will definitely be a regular of your blog.

Keep those entries coming!

BTW, we are quite close. I'm at UNITEN.

-Hazlinda-

ManaL said...

Hi Hazlinda ,

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Hola from UKM...!

Speaking of that "you bila lagi" part, it becomes too predictable yet our patience pon ade limits kan? It sometimes made us feel like a threat to the society!

Pink-Fins @ Blue-Fins said...

Hey Manal, I hopped to here from my abang's blogspot.

Cough Cough.. I pon celebrity ke? hehehehe oh hey, thanks for coming to our Kebun, with the sesat and rain all... so sorry it took me a while to register you yah.. i had to mandi hujan and redah the banjir running from the khemah to the house.. and it's been years since we last saw each other... me and my berkarat memory.. ;-(

ehem: remember if you kawin orang kelate, you gotta invite my papa.. hahahahha ;-P

ManaL said...

Pink Fins,

Halamakkk!!!! Sure, there are lotta cute looking, romantic kelate dudes out there, but would they fight tooth and nail to convince me of their undying love! Yupp, your papa will definitely be on my list even if i am not marrying a north-east coast dude! Bukan calang2 orang your papa ni!

Makji Esah said...

Haiyooo...my encounter with some 'celeb' yang aku sumpah mati hidup balik pun tak kenal, really menyayat hati.

I am still not impressed with your 150mph stint, ayoyo...habislah reputasi u sebagai wanita melayu terakhir ni...

ManaL said...

Makji,

Perchayalah, saya adalah pemandu yang berhemah walaupun adakalanya saya suka memandu laju sedikit. Masalahnya had laju kereta saya hanya 200kmh. Jika suatu hari nanti saya dapat memandu faster cars, mungkin saya mahu mencuba lebih daripada 200kmh tapi hanya apabila jalanraya yang sunyi, itupun kalau fast car itu auto gear. Kalau manual gear, harus penat lutut menahan break dan segala!

Oh well, i was never bothered on that wanita melayu terakhir pon....never one, but a woman none the less!

ManaL said...

I mean BRAKE not break

Typhoon Sue said...

wuih...jumpa sean ghazi no.... and bukan main lagi paut pinggang paut bahu... hmmmmm, jeles i... :-P

Tuanku Mizan, yea, he's a regular bloke, very down to earth too. Being sick most of his childhood probably keep him grounded.

ManaL said...

Sue,

I select who deserved to be that close to me and Sean was lucky tawwww....! orang lain i perati jer or tak pon paling2 shake hands....but he was a cool dude.

Was he, tuanku mizan? poor bloke. And he married that zahira lady who was my 2nd adek ipar's schoolmate in kedah. I take your word on that regular part, sue. Thanks for the tip-off!

Unknown said...

Phewiiiiit! Hey what a nice photo there. How lovely that your alumni has SG entertaining you guys. Attaway! We should support great talent.

Alahai so sweet lah SG to think of me that way. He is lovely.

You are pro-active lah dear. Jumpa Kak Teh lagi, jumpa Nurfarahin lagi! Terror lah your enthusiasm. Keep it up. Thanks for the mention. Sweet!

ManaL said...

Kak ruby,

Ummm...the thing was we saw him on the foyer in between those banquet halls. Nope, our reunion dinner was a simple, free of charge one but definitely a walk down memory lane for many of us. My three other mates saw him first, and these 3 lads malu2 pulak nak approach him. But i just walked up to him and extended my friendly greetings to him and was reciprocated rather well by SG.

This proactive part occurs randomly la kak ruby but it's catching up hopefully. I think i have to take charge of my life and learn to enjoy what is on about around klang valley. Alone or with friends, a woman gotta do what a woman gotta do. I dont go out that often but when i do that, i do it with good intentions whenever i get the chance. And i get to love what KL and our country can offer more and more. Oh well, i am still learning to appreciate living in this country believe it or not, and alhamdulillah, things are looking up!

Kak Teh said...

laaaa tak sangka ada gambar kak teh and mak kat sini. manal, secara kebetulan, masa kak teh surf ke blog manal, kak teh tengah cakap dengan my sister di alor star. Mak kak teh ada di sana - dan tak sehat sangat. adik, kakak dan abang kak teh semua balik. Dan terasa sangat kak teh nak balik. kebetulan masa bercakap tadi - click blog manal - nampak gambar mak...sedihnya - sekarang dia berdiri pun tak larat dah. Doa untuk dia Manal. Doa semoga kak teh dapat berjumpa dia. Insyaallah kak teh nak balik.

ManaL said...

Kak Teh,

I pray to God that she'll be blessed with longevity and speedy recovery! Inshallah kak teh will have all the time you need with her smiling and asking about your favourite lauk ketam and kopekkan the shells just for you!

I can never forget her hospitability layaning me as the guest of the house even though we just met for the first time in our life!

hazlindakim said...

As with everything in life, there's always a limit eh? Sometimes nak aje give some snide remark like "Why is it such an issue that I am not married?". In fact I did one time and to my superior no less. Thank God he didn't take to heart.

Well, here's to us women who dare to be different!

ManaL said...

Hazlinda,


Thanks for your vote. IMHO if we feel good about ourselves and take things with a pinch of salt, woteva snide remarks one get wont make one like a hapless old maid. But somehow, i also kesian to those ladies yang dah give up on ever getting married as they think when they reach a certain age, their chances are as good as gone. I think thats a way of them dealing with it without sounding too bitter.


I myself a firm believer that God made everybody in pair and that each one has different path of life. What is easily achieved by a few people is not necessarily something God made it easy for others. U get some and u lose some, but with consistent prayers to God and with firm believe on our own capabilities, plus doing some self-reflection and think of what to do next (forward planning and so on), we may achieve what we have wished for. Tak dapat this year, next year ade lagi.


Ish, kalau nak cerita on this memang panjang, hazlinda, but i thank God that he knows more whats best for me and the more i learn about what God's best laid plan, the more driven i am to better myself. And so, walaupon ade la geram jugak sebab such a question never stops, I am no society trash or menyusahkan hidup saper2.


I say, keep our options open, be confident, know how to interact and groom ourselves nicely (tak perlu too sexy but presentable nonetheless). Our positive aura will surely attract anyone including men! To me, women are sexier like that!

hazlindakim said...

Yes, God works in mysterious ways.

Something that we think is bad for us may one day be something that brings us strength.

We just have to keep the faith.