Saturday, March 08, 2008

lapan tiga lapan 08-03-08

By the grace of Allah, I have placed my votes earlier this morning at a classroom in Sek.Men.BBBangi Jln 2 and am still in my post-vote trauma. I went on foot to the secondary school today which acted as one of our polling stations trying to feel all calm, collected and composed. After all, it was my first time voting and frankly speaking, I neither know any of the four candidates personally nor have I listened to any of their campaign ceramah (talk) live before during the 13 days campaign period. However, I do know one of them as someone who is residing nearby my place, and so he is practically in the neighbourhood. The most I did was to read on the candidates and based on the word of mouth of those who have seen their capabilities.



For the state (DUN) seat, we have Dr.Shafie Abu Bakar of PAS contesting against Dato Mohd Fathil Daud of BN. For the parliamentary seat, Dato Hoh Hee Lee of MCA-BN against DAP Teo Nie Ching. Out of the four candidates, Teo is the only lady, a 27 year old lawyer who did not get much opportunity to expand her campaigns in bangi area due to her probable "lack of resource". She faces Dato Hoh who also reads law yet a senior and more well known as a social activist. A rose among the three thorns, she could be singled out as representing an icon figure among the Bangi and Serdang voters in conjunction with today's International Women's day.



I think I spent more than the average 2 mins time spent at the ballot stand today. I was getting a bit anxious and started to perspire on marking the cross at one of the boxes for each DUN and Parliament seat. Although I did make up my mind a few days earlier on who to vote for but seeing a pencil in my hand, I began saying my prayers that no one will try to erase it off once the ballot counting takes place. By the way, pencils???? Typhoon Sue has shared her experience earlier in my previous comment box that she too was pretty miffed on using pencil as a mean to cross the ballot paper. And so the moment I saw a pencil on the right corner of my ballot stand, it was that very moment when my confidence started to wane. Holding my own grips while trying as hard as i could to stay focus on who or which party i was crossing at, i held the pencil firm in the writing position between my fingers of my right hand and began exercising my obligation to vote. It did not just stop there as i began bolding twice on the first cross line I made hoping that it will leave a more permanent mark on the ballot paper if ever some hamba allah trying to erase it.




Now, I can only hope and pray that whoever I have chosen to represent our voices would bring more progress, peace and security in Bangi and Serdang areas regardless of the race, background and creed. Bangi has higher Malay majority whereas Serdang has more Chinese populating the more urban side of the district. And with that in mind, they aptly placed Malay representatives contesting for bangi seat while the two Chinese candidates run for Serdang seat.



The ballot count results will be anounced later tonight. I reckon the congratulations are in order for whoever going to win his/her seat. And obviously the PM is in his full-alert mode till he gets to see the 2/3 majority result. Lepas tu, boleh la balik tidur lena lama-lama sikit eh?


I was wondering, is there anything like a 50-50 majority?

4 comments:

Kak Teh said...

manal, well done. Here in London or for that matter in the whole of UK, not many people will have the chance to vote. Only students and government officers can vote provided they have registered themselves as postal voters. I doubt that many had done so. And people like us - kena baliklahhhh.. tambang mahal pulak tu.

ManaL said...

Kak teh,

How about make a petition so that MAS can provide a special air fare for those Malaysians living outside Malaysia (for your case, in the UK especially)every General Election Day in Malaysia. It has been practised by Greece and perhaps a better, more efficient vote via mail too!

Yupp, I have done my part and Selangor is no longer BN state!

Typhoon Sue said...

no worries about the pencil this time around, I brought my own pen!

and I left the pen there after i finished, haha

ManaL said...

Sue,

Ummm....I brought pensss too...but i suddenly became over conscious and looking at the pencil tied with a long string in that ballot stand, and being some sort of a law-abiding citizen, I simpan segala pen and guna that pencil gak. Uwaaa...!!!

It's rather quiet today!