Saturday, December 09, 2006

one week without broadband connection...sigh

It's been a week since i lost my jaring connection due to network card and broadband modem faulties....this was the 3rd time such thing has ever happened...and CERTAINLY NOT because of jaring service. It was DUE TO this heavy rain/monsoon season with all that heavy downpours, thunderstorms, lightning strikes and so on that had interfered with the broadband system.

As this is the 3rd time i changed the modem, FOR free from jaring and this is also the 3rd time i had to replace with a new network card 10/100Mbps, and the fact that all my pc cables, printer and network adaptor are connected to a power surge cable extension, the LAST resort would be to disconnect the phone line from the modem when the pc is not in use. Such is the crucial step to avoid another visit to the Jaring Internet Outlet as well as our nearby pc hardware shop repeating the same thing: return old faulty modem and replacing it with a new one (it is for free as it is inclusive of the monthly bill) and getting a new network card (just a small surcharge for the 3rd one courtesy of G & B pc hardware, Jalan Reko, Kajang, but twice for free). ON top of that, disconnecting the phone line (DSL) from the modem would protect the broadband splitter from malfunctioning.

What to do....I have been using my 1st network card for like 4 years without any problems in the UK and the 1st 6 months of my broadband connection here in Malaysia until this torrential rainy season hits the country. Penat memang penat...seriously getting tired of such hassle. A month before that, my youngest sister did something that led to pc system crash and i had to ask my adek ipar's genius computer maintainer to come over my place to fix my pc.

Good thing i can still get connected to the internet via my office pc. But our faculty LAN connection is only up to 10MBps whereas my home connection goes up to 100MBps. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure out which one is better and faster.

And just 2 days ago, we have upgraded our electrical Amp consumption, from 43 to 60Amp by replacing the old fuse box with a new one, and fixed a new fuse system at the electric meter box. This electrical power overload could also be one of the notorious reasons that has affected my broadband modem.

************************************************************************

Eh, how come Asia Game 2006 in Doha is not that happening? is it because our malaysian contingent are not doing that well, except a few like the bowling team? Not much of coverage being reported in the newspaper? that bad, huh....they got almost nothing to say hence the modest number of report.

8 comments:

kuku man said...

Use a power regulater that have a phone line in and out!

that way your regulater will blow/fuse first instead of your Modem an NCard. Worst, if it will damage your Motherboard!

ManaL said...

Thx kuku mon, but at the mo i just do the phone line disconnecting like those time when i was using dialup modem.

I shall consider your advice, thx.

The Pisces Man said...

I am connected to TMNet Streamyx. Even they advise to disconnect the lines and switch the modem off when not in use. I think being a control freak and a bit kiasu hehe, I don't mind doing those things. Like you said, it's a bit too hassle to get things replaced or buy new ones. So, takpalah, susah sikit :)

ManaL said...

vkajkmabdun,

I previously added Guest User besides myself as the owner of my pc. So different adek beradek yang guna, mcm2 la kan. Now, i've changed the login setup that would allow only me to access my own pc thereby controlling the internet usage and ensuring that phone line is disconnected each time.

I never knew it was that bad, this whole thunderstorm in msia that even phone lines can contribute modem malfunctioning...sabar jer la.

ManaL said...

sorry abdun,

those extra letters were meant for the word verification code.

The Pisces Man said...

kah kah kah, i thought u 'carut' Japanese or something... dah la tu, had my name in the end of it plak tuh.. hehehe

Anonymous said...

if you do get a regulator make sure it's a good one, not something cheap because the cheap ones sometimes just lie. you're lucky in a way, some surge affect straight to the pc and you would have lost even more, count your blessings :)

ManaL said...

B*K (grey matter/substance/ingredient/etc?),

Thx mate for your recommendation. Do u think i can get it at any pc hardware shop?

U r right, alhamdulillah it is still manageable.