Sunday, March 11, 2007

First theatre I watch in KL

I went to see this free-entry theatre but with an advanced booking by my friend, Hawati, who is also an assistant registrar at this Faculty of Artistic and Creative Technology in UiTM. We gathered at the MTC next to Saloma Bistro down in Jalan Ampang for the show. There were all 6 of us booked under her name.

This theatre show entitled "Kalut" (loosely translated in english as worried and anxious in a haphazard way). The act and directing was done by the faculty students.



Poster photosource: kalut official blog



To me, this is the 1st ever Malaysian theatre show I have ever seen. I missed that Puteri Gunung Ledang Musical at Istana Budaya before because i didnt have a car yet that time. Unless they do matinee or early evening shows, I do need a transport to go back home since most of the shows finish around 11pm or that they did not give an approximate running time to it. Good thing i just learnt that there is a Bukit Nenas Monorail station just a walking distance from MTC.

(Speaking of public transport connection in KL: Depressing as in not every place has easy access to public transport including buses. It might be ok if u go out during the day time, but if u had to be somewhere or leaving somewhere in the late evening, chances are a bit slim for you to rely on a public transport. Nevertheless, it has been improving a LOT esp that this year is the Visit Malaysia Year.)

OK I digress.

Back to Kalut theatre. My honest review: 3 star for good attempt at theatre acting, 2 Star for the storyline, and overall: 3 star. I only laughed a bit. Surprisingly, most of the audience which consisted of the college students seemed to enjoy it very much based on the roaring laughters across the theatre hall. Sorry but i think most of the jokes are too Senario-malay typical corny slapstick jokes. I even found myself feeling a bit bored in the middle of the show. But that just me. I was probably got used to English (and american) humours that it probably didnt tickle me much. However, I was impressed at their ability to deliver the dialogues and their courage to stay in their character despite some audience cheers (and some jeers). I also noticed that since many of the audience were from the same faculty as those actors and actresses, 1 fella got more cheers than the rest of the cast simply due to his popularity. That i knew from hawati who told me that this student-actor, Fasyali Fadzli Saipul Bahri was not a stranger at all when it comes to stage performances especially on the acting and monologues. Never mind him being famous, I do think that he has displayed a promising talent in acting and I rate him the best actor among the cast.


All in all, I had a good time tonight. I am now looking forward for more theatre shows in the future around KL. If i can get someone to go with me, then it'd be cool. Otherwise, i probably end up going to a show on my own. Which is OK as well but of course, less fun.

7 comments:

david santos said...

Hello, Manal!
this work is very good, thank you
have nice wkend

ManaL said...

Ola seƱor David,

Thank you (obrigada) for your kind words. You too have a nice weekend.

U r a talented poet. I wish i could understand portuguese to read those poems in your blog. And thanks to sis ruby for introducing you to us.

~ GAB ~ said...

I do share your way of looking at jokes as the way Malay are doing too. As you said, "Senario-malay typical corny slapstick jokes", I find it hard to laugh even to the point it'd make me feel stupid to laugh.

I watched this finale of Raja Lawak thing over Astro last Saturday. I told my wife, we are long way to go to the standard of seeing a real comic up on the stage with full of integrity as a person, with wits and intelligence but really pull people's stomach laughing over the substance he's delivering without even seeing him smile over his own joke, let alone silly acts to go along with.

And I love theatre Manal . To me, I love theatre because that's the real test to the capability of the actor to act, without going thru cuts and editing. They can't afford to make blunders, what you see is what you get (WYSIWYG).

ManaL said...

Sir Gab,

You are right on WYSIWYG in the context of theatre performance.

I'd probably do Actor's Studio la lpas nih. The thing is tiket dia mahal2 la. I hope after some salary increment later mid of this year, I can budget some money on theatrical/stage shows.

If only they'd learn on how P.Ramlee and co mastered the comedy art through variety of approaches n not just the very cliche slapstick ones. Harith Iskander and Afdlin Shauki r examples of good comedian but sometimes they only get better when they are not in the "public" scenes as in on TV broadcast.Even Tun Mahathir's selamba jokes can make me laugh hard! dunno laa...msians audience still prefer lawak kampong.....

The Pisces Man said...

Hi, Manal - my blog has changed to http://boulevard-abdun25.blogspot.com/... maybe you can change that in your link too, if not too much trouble. TQ.

ManaL said...

Abdun,

Okeh, noted. Tu dia....maroon background.

Mel Ija said...

I love theatres but I havent been to one in ages. The last time I watched one was my first Malay theatre at Istana Budaya; Lantai T Pinkie. I have to admit that I was quite dissapointed with some of the actors like Nasya Aziz and Abby Abadi. They could not carry the characters well enough for me to be totally absorbed in their feelings. But the not-known ones were really good. I guess having been exposed to theatre acting for quite some time contributed to that.

The English theatre that I like was Split Gravy on Soup (or something like that). Dato' Rahim Razali was among the casts. I liked it. I like the jokes, the casts were talented. And I was surprisingly impressed with Ben (anak Azean Irdawaty). His command of English is good and he pulled his gay character really well. Definitely two thumbs for that.