Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Another one of the most cherished days



Alhamdulillah, i got promoted to a senior lecturer position under a new PhD graduate scheme. Normally you gotta undergo a PTK 3 before u reach such position. But alhamdulillah, since my university intended to practise a new policy, so here i am unknowingly to myself even, was made a senior. I dont think i am fully eligible for such position knowing that I still owe some papers for publications both for the local as well as the international journals. But alhamdulillah, after a long wait, i.e. 12 months, i think i do deserve it.



At Gunung Mat Chinchang summit, Langkawi Island, last year's aidil fitri, having reached there by the cable car. I was doing my best: I am the king of the world pose. Heck, I looked more like a giantess. But a sexayyy looking giantess indeed.



*****************************************************

That was me in summer 2004 with my postdoc-ex-officemate, Ming Fang at Royal Albert Hall (RAH) square:



Inshallah, this May 2007, I shall be there again for my long-awaited graduation ceremony. My college is right opposite to where I stand and RAH has served as the main hall for all the graduation ceremonies albeit becoming wholly-privatised few years back. It is part of the college's tradition as RAH was formerly a very close affiliate for soooo many years. This year too marked the centennial celebration of the college (click here) and I felt so honoured that I am gonna be part of the history by being there. From my humble beginning in the UK where i had my 1st british tertiary education at the University of Bradford in 1997, I have never forgotten my true aspiration to be part of Imperial College. And so, after attaining my 1st degree in Bradford, I moved on a step further and tried my luck by applying to pursue my PhD studies at Imperial. Alhamdulillah, I was accepted and I will never forget those feelings when i first registered myself as a student there. You can imagine a black choir in church singing : "Oh happy day" in the background. How jubilant indeed.

Somehow, I still believe that the saying :"the best thing comes to those who waits" works almost well enough for me. Nevertheless, I have added a few more words to it and now it becomes: "the best thing comes to those who waits with patience, perseverance, prayers and tawakkal".

16 comments:

zewt said...

what can i say besides... CONGRATS!!

but i cant agree on the best thing comes to those who waits.... i prefer to take initiative.

The Pisces Man said...

Congrats on your achievements.. you've earned them.

Indeed it's true what zewt had said. The quote "the best thing comes to those who waits" doesn't really cut it. But Manal has made it much more appropriate by adding the words "...with patience, perseverance", prayers and tawakkal, ie. perseverance describes those who actually takes the initiative to strive for the things they want.

ManaL said...

Zewt,

Thanks, man. Of course, nothing's gonna materialized by waiting n doing nothing. Believe you me, I have to be thick-skin to get what i want without bending the rules.


Abdun pisces,

Gracias....

That saying is originally meant for producing a good liquour (re: Guinness Stout). I've added those 4 items to substantiate why it cud bring more good things in life. And you have aptly said so. It kinda reminded me that different people go on a different journey of life and if we didnt get it now, we'll achieve them later and it's gonna be a sweet victory as we accumulate more experience and knowledge in order to improve ourselves and learning from our previous mistakes. How long we wanna wait, that is all up to us. Go with the flow sort of thing.

Kak Teh said...

manal, congratulations and congratulations! may will indeed be a memorable month.

pugly said...

Hey, congrats! Well done you - most deserved, I'd say! ;-)

I, too, believe that good things always come to those who wait ...

ManaL said...

kak teh,

Thanks, love. It meant a lot to, attending the ceremony at RAH.

pugly dearie.,

Cheers! Time is indeed of the essence but if we do things in a rush, it might not be the best outcome. Nonetheless, some things does work in the last minute.

By the way, I got ur tagged message. Will try to do that once I'm back from bandung next week. Thx so much for counting me in!

zura said...

Congratulations manal. I can't wait to get that promotion tooo. Of course I have a PhD to finish now. Wish me luck.

Roving Soul said...

congrates manal!

Adib Noh said...

Please accept my belated congratulations on being appointed Senior lecturer.Now,I am waiting for the call to attend the celebration.

To receive your scroll at RAH is great,Manal!I am very happy for you.

After my jogging at Hyde Park one sunday morning in 2003,I went to take a photo of RAH.That is the nearest I could be.

ManaL said...

zura,

Of course you will. And I do think you'll be trusted upon many higher positions, a lady in power that is, soon after you gain your doctorate, inshallah.

ManaL said...

nurelsa,

Thanks so much, but i am more inspired by you. After all that sweating blood and tears, u really deserve that position!

ManaL said...

Pak Adib ,

I am honoured for such a compliment. Inshallah, the little celebration will be announced once things are sorted out.

It is indeed one of the most famous halls in the world. I've been inside once in 2001 on a free-tour courtesy of the RAH management for the Imperial students. I was taken around the hall from the topside to the basement. That time, i did imagine what it would feel like walking up to the stage in the middle of the hall as a graduant

Unknown said...

Hi Manal,

Congratulations seem to be in order. Well done my dear!

Wow! That photo at Gunung Mat Chinchang summit is awesome. The view must be breathtaking. I have not done much nature of late. Hmm..must re-think. Ahh..no, my dear, I am not outdoorsy. I must not kid myself. Still love cities..ha ha.

Hey, lovely your graduation in May. Have a good time. You deserve it! Cheers.

ManaL said...

Kak Ruby ,

Many thanks to u!

I am still up for some adventure. But somehow, trudging into malaysian jungle wont be much of something I would look forward to.

To be honest with u, i've been waiting for the graduation ceremony too long already. But hey, everything that happens comes with a hikmah behind it, kan. Therefore, i am forever grateful.

kuku man said...

well done girl...
;)...wink..wink...wink...

hmm..maybe we should celebrate with some teh tarik?

ManaL said...

Cheers, kuku mon.

Teh tarik sounds ok to me. Betul ke nak ajak?