Friday, April 25, 2008

Identical TRIPLETS?


I know this is definitely a miracle case with a probability of 1 in 200, 000, 000 chances but I also think it is a bit freaky. I mean, I am already a bit freaked out seeing grownup lookalikes, as in identical twins especially men, but I dont think i can fathom the idea of having THREE identical triplets. It can be a nightmare to me just to recognize which one is which and all three of them can play TRIPLE pranks.

Read more of the news from Daily Mail here.

********************************************

Parents celebrate their 200 million-to-one miracle - identical triplet girls

By JAYA NARAIN -


With their bright blue eyes and cherubic smiles, Gabriella, Alessia and Olivia are a picture of cuteness.

But as well as being adorable, they are also quite extraordinary.

For they are naturally-conceived identical triplets.

Scroll down for more ...

Three of a kind: Identical triplets (from left) Olivia, Gabriella and Alessia


Medical experts say the chances of such births are around 200million to one.

Their delighted parents are Richard Rees, 22, and his 23-year-old fiance Carmela Testa, who is a midwife.

She gave birth in January surrounded by colleagues at the maternity unit in Peterborough where she normally works.

The sisters were born seven weeks prematurely via Caesarean section.

They weighed between 3lb 4oz and 3lb 10oz and spent three weeks in an incubator until they were strong enough to go home.

Scroll down for more ...

Triple trouble: The girls are proving a handful for their parents

Miss Testa said: "I found out at my 12-week scan I was having triplets.

"I knew they would be identical because there was just one placenta, so they were from the same egg.

"I was very shocked. They weren't planned. I'm quite small - only 5ft tall - so at the unit they joked that out of all the midwives it would have to be me that gave birth to triplets."

She added: "Everything is fine now and the girls are all putting on weight. I'm so overwhelmed when I see them. I can't believe they are mine and that they are perfect."

Telling the triplets apart is not proving too difficult.

"Olivia has a strawberry birthmark on her neck, Gabriella is a little bit smaller and Alessia has a sharper cry," explained Mr Rees, a vocational coach.

Identical triplets occur when one fertilised egg splits to create three embryos which grow separately but normally in the womb.

Non-identical triplets occur after three separate eggs are fertilised. This is increasingly common during IVF treatment.



**********************************************************************************

Kuuuurrrr semangat innit? They sure look very adorable and all, and I congratulate Richard and Carmela on their naturally conceived identical triplet girls. But seriously, I dont think i can tolerate having identical twins. Non-identical is fine by me. Seeing the identical ones are like looking at some clones or some Children of the corn, or Village of the Damned or The Wicker Man or something horror like that. They may look cute when they are younger but as they become matured and all grown up, and wearing the same dresses, acting similarly, and even walk together doing many things together, that sort of imagination really send some chills down my spine.


Of course, I wouldnt mind if they become two separate individuals even if they possess the same visible physical traits and shapes. In some cases, and I mean some men are having a fetish on going threesome (menage a trois) with twins though I am not exactly sure whether it applies to women on identical male twins too. Imagine some identical twin males marrying another identical twin females and only they know how to identify one another. Would a wife and husband swap occur among them? No need to tempt them on that, i reckon. Definitely will drive some people nuts seeing such couples around. Despite the odds surrounding them, they are still one of God's miracles.

There was one time, during the dusk at my old college in london that I received a visit from a 30 something male twins wearing almost similar tartan motive shirt with peculiarly matching trousers , similar hairstyles, similar height and both were wearing glasses. Somehow, they embodied the geekish look. I was in my old lab that time when one man appeared at the door step asking me how to find this Professor. As it was rather a usual, harmless even kinda query, I told him what he needed to know. Shortly after that another man appeared next to him, standing in front of me looking exactly the same, totally identical. Right at that moment, i squealed a bit, yet trying as much under my breath to refrain meself from being over dramatic.

"There are two of u?"


"Yeah, we are twins, identical ones," said the 1st guy appearing ever so nonchalant yet amused with my sudden act. Coz it was a bit of a suspense to me. How could I not? Not especially during that wee hour when the building was mostly empty as many have gone away.


"OK then. But u seriously scared the living daylight out of me being alone and late in the lab and all that. This is my 1st time ever seeing two identical men in some sort of similar clothes. "


"Sorry about that (giggles)". His brother seemed so unperturbed at all. I wondered why. Must be too accustomed by such a reaction demonstrated by yours truly.


"Alright then, thanks for the info."



"No problem". And they left together side by side. Creepish, i tell ya, reminded me of that dorky looking identical twin who loved to dance and hang out at a club in Ally Macbeal.


See, I am not one who is so fond of identical twins even though I used to think that they r so lucky to be born like that.



8 comments:

ubisetela said...

I have twin nieces. Now 5 yr old. To this date, they insist on wearing similar clothes. Sorang tukar baju the other one wajib tukar! *sigh* Everytime I see them I have to ask who is who.

ManaL said...

Ubi,

Well, let them enjoy matching each other in many ways for the time being. Cute ape....tapi mak bapak kena beli segala double. Dah tu kalau tak jumpa the same pair of clothes tak ke pening kepala?!

But if i were u, I would hope and pray and they will grow as an individual not continuously rivalling/comparing each other to death.

Btw, its good to see u around again!

Lee said...

Hi Manal, they sure going to be a handful when growing up. Boyfriends going to get a headache too, ha ha.
Manal, drop by my place, have a surprise for you, Lee.

ManaL said...

Uncle Lee,

Especially the girlfriend's sister demands something similar, or whatever sort of jealousy one sister will get when the girlfriend had to divide her attention between her bf and her sister...ishh, drama outburst!

Love the dress! U know what, i did try some really sexy black-satiny/silky cheong sam 7 years ago at one KLCC boutique but I didnt see why I shud be spending on it at that time. Now I am prolly considering looking for one esp that one of my chinese friends had given an early invitation to his wedding.

Mel Ija said...

i would love to have twins, but takder rezeki. tak kisahlah identical ke tak as long as they're twins. cool kan.

funny lah your story on encountering the twins tu.

ManaL said...

Ija,

But u have to bear in mind that whatever burden in terms of weight, money and many more gonna be doubled too unless u can afford a good maid to look after together. Not to mention breastfeeding hassle too...Need like a lotta patience to raise them up...But then, they sure gonna be like some special species that its hard not to adore the twins.

The Pisces Man said...

I've only seen identical twins when they are younger or still babies. But I'm not sure how identical are they when they grow up, I mean I doubt they still prefer wearing the same dresses etc etc.. and most likely their behaviours differ as well?

Chances are one prefers sporting short hairstyle, while the other likes it long and the other chooses to be bald. Honestly, I don't know coz I don't know any grown up identical twins...

Val said...

At my home church of about 400 people, there were SEVEN sets of identical twins. On top of that, there was a set of triplets with identical twins within (the third girl looked NOTHING like the other two).

PLUS, twins run in my family. I have two sets of twins within one generation of cousins on my dad's side of the family.

All that to say . . . twins don't really bother me much.